In this recipe adapted from the Selezioni Monograno website, guanciale is the star!!
- 6 ounces guanciale, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small hot pepper, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups LaValle San Marzano tomatoes DOP, crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup aged Parmigiano-Reggiano DOP
- 1/2-3/4 pound Setaro Strozzapreti or Monograno di Fellicetti Kamut Linguine
- Garda Orientale DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Heat a heavy, deep-sided sauté pan. Add diced guanciale, garlic, and hot pepper. No oil is needed. Stirring to prevent scorching, sauté for about 8-10 minutes, until much of fat has melted and remaining guanciale is well-browned. Using a spoon, drain about half the oil, reserving to add to potato salad or other vegetables. Add white wine, and cook until evaporated. Add red onions, stir, and then add crushed tomatoes. Allow to simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes until sauce is smooth and thick.
Meanwhile, add 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt to a large pot of water, and bring to a full boil. Add pasta and stir. Cook about 10 minutes until al dente. Drain and drizzle very lightly with Siciliani Novello oil. Toss with Guanciale Sauce and 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve remaining cheese at the table.